W edding planning is likely to be one of the most exciting times of your life. Not only are you planning a huge event where all of your loved ones will gather together, but you’re also planning the start of your new life with your future spouse.
And while wedding planning may be an exciting time, it’s also an expensive one. According to The Knot, the average couple spent $28,000 on their wedding in 2021. And in high cost of living areas, even sticking to that budget can be a challenge.
The good news is that having the right credit cards in your wallet can help you save money and earn rewards for your wedding spending. No, it’s not going to lower your costs by any significant percentage. But when you’re spending that much, any extra bit counts.
Table of Contents
Best Credit Cards for Wedding Expenses
There’s no shortage of excellent credit cards on the market, often offering impressive sign-up bonuses, cash back, and other perks. We’ve rounded up seven of our favorite credit cards for wedding expenses. Keep reading to learn more
1. Best for cash back – Citi® Double Cash Card
18.99% - 28.99% (Variable)
The Citi Double Cash Card is one of the most popular cash back credit cards on the market because of its high rewards rate on every purchase. When you spend with your Citi Double Cash, you’ll get 2% back on every purchase. You’ll get the first 1% when you make the purchase, and the other 1% back when you pay it off. It’s a great way to make the most of your wedding spending.
The Citi Double Cash doesn’t come with a welcome bonus or many of the other perks that more premium cards have, but it does exactly what a cash back card should do. It also offers a few additional benefits, including identity theft solutions and special access to tickets on thousands of events, including presales.
Finally, if you’re looking for a card to put some of your wedding spending on while also taking advantage of a balance transfer, the Citi Double Cash might be the right option. This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers (but not purchases) for 18 months.
- 2% back on all purchases
- No annual fee
- 18-month intro APR for balance transfers
- No sign-up bonus
- Few other card perks
- Introductory APR doesn’t apply to purchases
- Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.
- To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time.
- Balance Transfer Only Offer: 0% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 18.99% – 28.99%, based on your creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back. Intro APR does not apply to purchases.
- If you transfer a balance, interest will be charged on your purchases unless you pay your entire balance (including balance transfers) by the due date each month.
- There is an intro balance transfer fee of 3% of each transfer (minimum $5) completed within the first 4 months of account opening. After that, your fee will be 5% of each transfer (minimum $5).
- Few other card benefits
- No welcome bonus
- No intro APR on purchases
2. Best for honeymoon rewards – Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
20.74% – 27.74%
If you’re looking for a credit card you can use to pay for your wedding expenses and help pay for the honeymoon, look for further than the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. This card was designed with travel in mind, while still offering high rewards on your regular spending.
First, when you sign up for the Sapphire Preferred, you’ll get a 60,000 point signup bonus when you spend $4,000 in the first three months after opening your account. That 60,000 point equates to either $600 in cash or $750 when redeemed through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card also comes with the following spending rewards:
- 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 2X points on other travel purchases
- 3X points on dining, including delivery, takeout, and dining out
- 3X points on online grocery purchases
- 3X points on streaming services
- 1X points on other spending
In addition to the welcome bonus and spending rewards, the Sapphire Preferred also comes with a few other perks. It offers a $50 annual hotel credit, trip cancellation/interruption insurance, rental car insurance, baggage delay insurance, trip delay reimbursement, purchase protection, extended warranty protection, and more.
- High spending rewards
- Large welcome bonus
- 25% bonus on points redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Additional travel perks
- $95 annual fee
- No introductory APR
- Low rewards on non-bonus categories
- No travel lounge access
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy beneﬁts such as 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining, and 2x on all other travel purchases, and $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
- Member FDIC
- Minimum spending requirement of $4,000
- Annual fee
- Limited redemption options outside of travel