Are you keen to know the best credit card for gas and groceries for 2022? Are you drumming your fingers on the internet to learn more about the credit cards for grocery shopping or filling up the tank?
Perhaps you are looking for credit cards that offer you massive cashback on your purchases at supermarkets and grocery stores? If so, then let happiness flood you as you have marked your presence on the right page.
First, let’s face the facts about grocery credit cards.
According to a sample budget based on Esri’s most recent data, an average American spends approximately $431 monthly and $5,174 yearly on groceries. And that is more than the Americans spend on their dining time (usually $3,675 annually).
Families with those gigantic grocery bills can save several hundred dollars when you pay them with credit cards, offering nearly 1.5-6% cashback. Also, the icing on the cake is that they charge annual fees as low as $0. Hurray!
At supermarkets, the best grocery reward cards can offer 6%. While they typically rule out the wholesale clubs, including B.J.’s and Costco, and big box stores encompassing Walmart and Target. Still, you can take advantage of such rates at Krogers, Whole Foods, and other massive grocers.
Moreover, some of the best credit cards for groceries even offer bonus rewards in various other everyday expense categories, including; travel, restaurants, gas, etc.
For instance, when you pay for groceries with a rewards credit card, it would help you earn over $100 yearly on groceries; quite a masterstroke! So imagine saving such a significant amount of money at the time of checkout (without requiring any clip coupons); sounds excellent, Yeah!
On the other hand, when you talk about skyrocketing gas prices, travel enthusiasts know that the fuel expenses will not take any halt and can add up. And undoubtedly, it would be the best decision to get the cashback and many other rewards.
Especially for heavy drivers, getting rewards on gas can be a perfect thing they could ask for any day. In this article, you will witness top gas credit cards that not just reward you well on gas station purchases but also a variety of spending, including groceries.
So, take a look at every card’s exclusive perks and limitations for figuring out the best credit cards for your grocery shopping and gas, based on your spending habits.
Table of Contents
1. Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express – the Best Credit Card for Zero Annual Fee
American Express’ Blue Cash Preferred Card is the best credit card for groceries as it offers a massive 6% cashback at U.S. supermarkets. Also, it provides a cashback at transits (3% cashback) and various other everyday purchases. When you spend up to $6,000 every year, you will get this cashback on U.S. streaming subscriptions (6% cashback); simply Awesome!
Another best credit card for gas and groceries is Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Also, cardholders benefit from earning 3% cashback at U.S. gas stations; during the checkout time, every other purchase grants 1% cashback.
Furthermore, Blue Cash Preferred even offers you an initial bonus of $300 as the statement credit for spending no less than $3,000 within 6 months of opening your account. And probably, that’s more than you expect for covering the annual fee of card mounting to $95 for a few years (waiving off the first year).
For instance, the card costs you $95 annually, but if you monthly buy 500 groceries, then you would save around 360 – 95 = 265/year.
In all, the American Express Blue Cash Preferred® Card is an excellent way for saving huge on everyday expenses, including two of the most significant expenditures, gas, and groceries. And if you have excellent or good credit, you must have quite a good chance of having the approval.
- Introductory APR – On purchases for one year or 12 months, there will be 0% intro APR from the account opening date. Further, there will be a variable APR, ranging between 13.99% – 23.99%.
- Annual Fee – For the first year, the annual fee is $0. And after that, the fee is $95 annually. In addition to this, the foreign transaction fee is 2.7%.
- Pay Later Plan – $0 Buy Now, Pay Later Plan —of American Express’ Blue Cash Preferred® Card— is the card fees on plans created during the first 12 months after opening the account. Further, the Plans created after 12 months will have a plan fee of nearly 1.33% on every purchase.
- Redeeming Rewards – You can redeem for statement credits that start at $25 in the reward dollars. Or, you can redeem for various other rewards like merchandise and gift cards via Amex’s rewards portal.
Note: You can receive cashback in the form of Reward Dollars which you can redeem as a statement credit.
2. Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card – Best Credit Card for Whole Foods
Amazon owns Whole Foods other than just groceries. Also, it has a credit card named Amazon.com Visa Signature Card that handsomely rewards cardholders when you shop through it.
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card is the best credit card for Amazon Prime members who primarily shop via Amazon Prime Pantry, Whole Foods Market, or Amazon Fresh.
You can earn 5% cashback on all Amazon-ecosystem purchases, including non-perishable and perishable groceries.
Card’s standard offer is – 3 points on every dollar spent on Whole Foods and Amazon.com purchases, equal to 3 percent back. On the other hand, Prime members receive five points/$1 for 5 percent back.
Likewise, Amazon Prime members also get a $150 gift card from Amazon.com after getting approval for a credit card account, while everyone else grabs $75.
Moreover, all cardholders benefit from earning two points/$1 at restaurants, drugstores, and gas stations; also, you receive one point/$1 on the rest of the things. You can use this card wherever Visa is accepted, and it even doesn’t charge an annual fee, just fab!
All in all, it is another best credit card for gas and groceries.
- Introductory APR – The intro APR is 0.
- Annual Fee – For the card itself, the annual fee is also 0. However, cardholders should be Amazon Prime members who can earn 5% cashback on the Whole Foods Purchase website and Amazon.com. The yearly amount of Prime membership is $119. Last but not least, there’s no foreign transaction fee.
- Redeeming Rewards – You can redeem for accumulated cashback in the preferred amount for deposit statement credits to your linked bank accounts. Also, you can connect it to credits against Amazon purchases during checkout.
- Perks – You can get benefit with travel insurance perks enveloping baggage delay insurance, travel accident insurance, and lost luggage reimbursement.
- You can get unlimited 5% cashback on eligible purchases at Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market locations.
- Earn 2% unlimited cashback on purchases you make at drugstores, gas stations, and restaurants. Also, you can earn 1% unlimited cashback on every other eligible purchase.
- Get a $100 Amazon gift card with a sign-up bonus after approval. Remember, exclusions apply, and carefully see the terms and conditions and get more details.
3. Citi Custom Cash℠ Card – Best Credit card for Customized Rewards
Why is the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card one of the best credit cards for groceries? Well, it offers you 5% cashback in your top spending category in each billing cycle; (up to $500 spent; 1% back thereafter);
Also, you get 1% cashback on all other purchases. The card even comes with a $0 annual fee; however, new cardholders get an initial bonus of $200 in the first three months for spending $750. What more do you want?
- Introductory APR – There’s 0% Intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months. After this, the variable APR will be between 13.99% – 23.99%, depending on your creditworthiness. Remember that you should complete Balance Transfers within four months from the date of account opening.
- Annual Fee – You enjoy 0 yearly fees.
- The Balance Transfer Fee is either 5% or $5 of every credit card balance transfer. (whichever amount is greater)*
- In the first three months of account opening, you can earn cashback of $200 after you spend $750 on other purchases. Such a bonus is completed as 20,000 ThankYou® Points that you can redeem for $200 cashback.
- You can earn 5% cashback on every purchase in your top-ranked spending category every billing cycle, up to $500 spent first. After that, 1% cashback is what you receive. Further, you get to earn 15 unlimited cashback on all other purchases.
- There are no rotating bonus categories for signing up. Your expenditure changes every billing cycle, and your earning adjusts as you spend in any of the top eligible categories.
- Redeeming Rewards – You can cash out your points for cashback as check, direct deposit, or a statement credit.
- Other Perks – There are several ways to redeem points, including shop, travel, gift cards with Points at Amazon.com.
- Only Citi will issue one Citi Custom Cash℠ Card account/person
4. Chase Freedom Unlimited® – Best for Bonus Earnings
Chase Freedom Unlimited® offers you 5% cashback on the eligible grocery store purchases (excluding Walmart or Target purchases) after spending up to $12,000 in the first year. Also, if you are a new card member, you can earn a $200 bonus and 5% cashback.
Specifically, you can earn the bonus of $200 in the first three months from your account opening after you spend $500 on purchases.
- Low Intro APR – For 15 months, 0% intro APR from the date of account opening on balance transfers and purchases. After the intro time, a variable APR will be there, which is 14.99% – 23.74%.
- No Annual Fee – There’s no annual fee for all the best features you can enjoy with your Freedom Unlimited Card. Additionally, the Foreign transactions cost you 3% of the total transaction amount.
- Cashback Rewards Don’t Expire – As long as your account is open, cashback rewards will continue to be in action. Also, there’s no minimum for redeeming the cashback.
- Redeeming Rewards – You can redeem for gift cards, bank account deposits, purchases, statement credits with third-party retailers such as Amazon. And can make purchases via Chase Travel Portal.
- Other Perks: The Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card offers you trip interruption or trip cancellation insurance. For eligible purchases, you can get reimbursement of up to $1,500/person and $6,000/trip for non-refundable, prepaid passenger fares with this card. For instance, if you couldn’t make it to the trip because of severe weather, sickness, or any other covered situation.
You can earn the following cashback:
- 5% on travels that you purchase through Chase Ultimate Rewards;
- 3% on drugstore purchases;
- 3% on dining at restaurants that include eligible delivery and takeout services.
- 1.5% cashback on all other purchases.
5. Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card – Best Card For All the Foodies!
The Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards credit card helps you earn 3% cashback on all supermarket purchases with no annual fee. It’s an excellent choice for people who loves to eat out or within the comfort of their home kitchen.
- Introductory APR – It’s 0% on balance transfers and purchases from the account opening date for the first 15 months. Further, the regular variable APR is between 14.99% to 24.99%.
- Annual Fee – There’s no foreign transaction and yearly fee.
- Welcome/Early Spend Bonus – You can earn a $200 bonus price in the form of cash after you spend $500 on purchases from the account opening date within three months.
- Earning Rewards – You can earn unlimited 3% cash back on every eligible grocery store purchase, except the purchase you make at superstores, including Target and Walmart. Also, it includes buying entertainment, dining, and qualifying streaming services. You can even earn 1% unlimited cash back on every other eligible purchase.
- Redeeming Rewards – You can redeem for bank account deposits or statement credits in any amount of your choice.
- Other Perks – You can enjoy the best money-saving perks like 24/7 travel assistance services. Also, there are possible savings on purchases via Capital One Shopping along with Paribus; you will find extended warranties on select purchased items. Additionally, the SavorOne card comes in Mastercard and Visa varieties. Also, the feature availability may vary according to the product.
6. American Express® Gold Card – Best for Grocery, Dining, and Travel Rewards Redemptions
If travel is all time on your to-do list, then The American Express® Gold Card is for you as it offers you constant high earning rates on grocery shopping. The earnings rate of this card is the highest in the industry. Also, its membership rewards are easy to redeem and flexible.
In all, you can have 100,000 bonus points worth up to $0.01/point at redemption, contributing to a 4% return on your spending.
Rewards Details –
- Introductory APR – There’s no intro APR. You can see its fees and rates page for specific fees and the American Express® Gold card rates.
- Annual fee – $250 annual fee is there.
- No Foreign transaction fee.
- Earning Rewards – Get 4 points on every dollar spent on restaurant purchases, including delivery and takeouts. The card also helps you earn 4X Membership Rewards Points (including delivery and takeout) at the U.S. supermarkets and restaurants on every dollar spent up to $25,000 in the annual category purchase.
- Additionally, you can earn four points on every dollar spent on Uber Eats purchases.
- The cherry on the top is to earn 3 points on every dollar spent on airfare purchases as well that’s directly at amextravel.com and with the airline and get one point/$1 spent on every other eligible purchase
- Welcome Bonus Offer: After spending $4,000 on purchases on your card, you can earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points within the first six months of your American Express Gold card membership.
- Redeeming Rewards: There are many redemption alternatives for this particular grocery rewards card that includes statement credits, Uber rides, gift cards, travel bookings, and general merchandise at the membership rewards portal of American Express.
- The minimum redemption amount begins at 1,000 points. Also, the most valuable points range between $0.005 and $0.01 per piece.
- Other Perks: The perks of this card include $10 per month in dining credits that can reach up to $120 per year. You can also earn up to $10 in Uber Cash/month, which amounts to $120 per year, after adding your American Gold Card as a payment means in this app. And last but not least, enrollment is a must for enjoying the benefits of this card.
7. Target RedCard™ Credit Card – Best Grocery Store Credit Card For Fair Credit
Target RedCard Credit card is best for “One-Stop Shoppers.” You can save a lot of money by using this card for groceries, and the card offers you a 5% discount on most in-store purchases, including groceries. The deal is even applicable to deliveries, pickups, and online orders.
For loyal Target shoppers, this card offers generous discounts.
- Introductory APR – It’s 0%, and the Regular APR variable is 22.90%.
- Annual Fee – It’s $0. You can make more than $40 with your new card.
- Bonus Offer – You get a $40 discount on future qualifying purchases above $40 when they approve you for a debit or credit RedCard.
- Foreign Transaction Fee – There is 0 foreign transaction fee.
- Other Perks – Get free two-day shipping on hundreds and thousands of items. Be aware of some of the market exclusions. Also, there’s a 10% discount awarded on every cardholder anniversary when signing up for the Target Marketing Emails.
- Will get exclusive extras that include offers and unique items.
- There’s an extended return facility for 30 extra days at Target.com or Target.
- Every day you can save 5% at Target.com and Target.
- You can save up to 5% after using your Target Redcard at places like; Clearance, Target Subscription, any in-store Starbucks location, Speciality gift cards, Drive Up service, Shipt, and Top deals.
- When accessing your Target Credit Card, please check the amount of your credit card account, review past statements, and make a payment.
8. Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards credit card – Best for Less Common Bonus Categories
Undoubtedly, the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards is one of the best choices for contenders who split their grocery purchases between a warehouse club- like Costco, Sam’s, or B.J.’s- and a supermarket.
- Introductory APR Offer – There’s 0% APR for purchases on your first 15 billing cycles. And it’s also applicable for any balance transfers you make within the first 60 days of the account opening date. Next, when the intro APR offer expires, a regular variable APR applies 13.99% to 23.99%. Additionally, a 3% fee (minimum $10) applies to every balance transfer.
- Annual Fee – There’s no annual fee.
- Welcome Bonus Offer – You will get an online rewards bonus of $200 after making at least $1,000 on your purchases from the date of account opening within 90 days.
- Redeeming Rewards – You will get 3% cashback on all eligible categories of your choice. Also, earn 2% cashback at wholesale clubs and grocery stores; and the combined cashback amounts up to $2,500, including wholesale club and grocery store quarterly purchases. Next, earn 1% unlimited cashback on every other purchase.
- Other Perks – With the preferred rewards program of Bank of America, you can increase your earning rates by 75% by having a great lump of cash in all the eligible accounts.
- Drawback – Other cards may offer you a better return for your shopping without the preferred rewards program of the Bank of America.
9. Citi Premier® Card – Most Lucrative Set of Bonus Categories You’ll See Offered on Any Card
The Citi Premier® Card accrues bonus points at supermarkets, gas stations, and dining at restaurants. The card has the best deal for those who travel internationally frequently. It’s one of the best credit card for gas and groceries of 2022.
- Introductory APR – There’s 0% intro APR, and then the regular variable APR is 15.99%-23.99%.
- Annual fee – $95
- Welcome/Sign up Bonus – You will get 80,000 points after you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first three months of the opening date of your account.
- Redeeming Rewards – Earn three points on every dollar spent at air travel, gas stations, supermarkets, hotels, and restaurants. Also, earn one point on every dollar spent on every other eligible purchase.
- Other Perks – The Citi Premier card helps you earn Citi ThankYou Points – You can redeem these flexible points currency for various awards or transfer to airline partners. Like many programs, you can also pool the earned points by the ThankYou Points.
10. Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express – No Annual Fee Alternative; Best cashback Grocery and Gas Rewards
Suppose the idea of paying an annual fee is something you can’t digest. A massive portion of your household budget caters to piling up your fridge, filling your family’s closets, or filling gas at the pumps. In that case, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is worthwhile for you.
- Intro APR & Plan It Fees – There’s o% intro APR purchases from the date of account opening within 15 months. The regular variable APR is 13.99% to 23.99%.
- Annual fee: $0
- Welcome Bonus Offer – You can earn $200 via statement credit after you spend $2,000 on purchases that are done within the first six months of your card’s membership.
- Redeeming Rewards – You can earn 3% cashback at the U.S. supermarkets on purchases up to $6,000 annually. Then, 2% cashback at the gas stations in the U.S. and selective U.S. department stores and 1% cashback on various other purchases.
- You can receive cashback in Rewards Dollars’ form to quickly redeem for statement credits.
- Other Perks – If you purchase items above $61 in a week on groceries and other supermarket goods, Blue Cash EveryDay’s sibling —Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express—- will get you more cashback, despite the annual fee.
Pad Up Your Savings By Choosing the Best Credit Card for Gas and Groceries for You!
The big-time question is how you can make the most out of your gas and grocery credit card, right? Well, it’s something that you need to find out by knowing what kind of a shopper or how you fill up your tank and then drawing a conclusion on the credit card that best fits the bill.
Further, ensure that you have that card every time you are up for grocery shopping or filling up your tank. You can earn rewards or sign-up bonuses that could eventually help you pay up for your gas and never-ending grocery bills.
"“Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.”"
Henry David Thoreau
Take control of your financial future with Penny calling penny!